9.22.2009

"It's hot, and it's only going to get hotter."

After two weeks of studying the basics of baking and pastry, I survived my first practical exam. It consisted of a written exam followed by an extensive hands-on test during which we demonstrated what we had learned in the class by preparing chef-selected dishes. For a four hour block of time, the chef monitored our every move and graded our final products on size, shape, technical accuracy, taste, and eye appeal. Though I didn't take any pictures during the actual exam, I do have some pictures from earlier in the week of the items we were asked to reproduce. Below are pictures of baguettes, challah, croissants and scones.


They don't give us much time to rest here. Despite the fact that I had a final exam yesterday, the second round of labs began today. For the next two weeks I will be in Stocks, Sauces and Soups for 6 hours each day. Even though it's new subject matter, my classmates are the same. Today we opened our knife kits (some of us for the first time) to practice knife skills on carrots, onions, potatoes and leeks. Our ignorance showed briefly at the beginning of class when several cut their fingers. We've been told those are just a sampling of the injuries we can expect over the next year and throughout our careers.


"The mark of a great chef --or at least one who works hard-- is a knife callus." That's what our chef told us as he began his knife skills demo today. By the time I was on my second or third carrot, I understood what he meant. My index finger is blistered, and it's only day one. I never thought I'd wish for a callus, but I am now.


We are beginning to feel like real culinary students since we are now cooking in a hot lab (a lab in which hot foods are prepared). What they don't tell you about hot labs is that they are HOT. Room temperature in this lab is around 75 to 77 degrees, and that's before the burners, boilers, and ovens are turned on. Keep in mind, we are also in full uniform. Long pants. Long sleeves. And hats. The chef noticed us sweating and heard a few of us commenting on how warm it was, and his response? "Yes, it's hot, and it's only going to get hotter. Get used to it." I thought by moving to Rhode Island I was escaping the heat. I guess I was wrong.


On the bright side, we are once again served dinner during lab, but this time it's table service. At 5:45 each day we are required to report to dining room 1, a classroom in the culinary arts building, to be seated for a 3 or 4 course French dinner. It's amazing how quickly cream of carrot soup, freshly baked baguettes, and roasted partridge can erase the frustrations of a hard day in the lab.

3 comments:

  1. your blog makes me so hungry!! Sounds like you are working hard but enjoying your time there -- I'm so glad! And the bus story sounds like something my Franny would do! I miss you but am really really glad to hear you're having fun up there and making delicious food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! Not only are the pictures tasty looking...but the soup and bird sounds good too! What about that soup...was it good??

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup was delicious! It had a very subtle heat. I think there was a dash of white pepper in it.

    ReplyDelete